Tuesday, June 24, 2008

20 Years Ago...

We got this idea from Nikki.

20 Years Ago:
Kirsten I was five years old. I had just finished preschool with my then best friend Billy. One of our favorite games was to pretend we were getting married. I'd carry flowers from the yard and we'd walk "down the aisle" over and over again. I think the whole ceremony was just walking.
James I was six years old. I was starting first grade with Mrs. Bigler. We did math worksheets in her class in which the answers were clues to color-by-number drawings. I had no problem with the math, but when I scribbled on the drawings to move on to the next math question, I got in trouble for sloppy art and had to redo them.

10 Years Ago:
Kirsten I was fifteen. I was about to start high school. I tried out for and made it on to Cloggers West, the best darn clogging team ever. I was also in the choir, on the soccer team, and on the lookout for more extracurricular activities.
James At sixteen I had long hair. I had just discovered the band The Aquabats and was starting to love ska music.

5 Years Ago:
Kirsten I had just finished my second year of college at the University of Utah. I was moving into a house across from campus with some friends. I was volunteering a lot and loving it. I was working as a medical assistant and had a passion for the field of medicine. I was deciding that I wanted to go to medical school.
James I was 21. I was just home from my mission. I was starting my major in Computer Engineering. I was happy to be home, but I missed Japan.


3 Years Ago:
Kirsten I was falling in love with James. Well, I had already fallen in love with him. I had a crush on him for two years before we got together (right after we met when he got back from his mission). We were spending as much time together as we could that summer.
James I was dating Kirsten. I was in love with the love of my life and was getting ready to propose to her. I couldn't wait to be married to her for eternity. I was just about to start my first programming job, proving I was responsible enough to marry.

1 Year Ago:
Kirsten I had just finished my first year of medical school. I aced it--except for Immunology, which I just barely passed. I was doing research with mice in a pediatric nephrology lab. I had just found out I was pregnant, which was about to change my life forever.
James We were expecting our first child. We had bought our first home. We were so in love and we were so busy remodeling.

So Far This Year:
Kirsten
I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. I decided to give up my big dream to be a doctor for a new dream. I got to see my son smile and giggle and watch my best friend become a wonderful father.
James I met the cutest boy ever, Atticus. And I enjoyed my job as a Software Engineer.

Yesterday:
Kirsten
I visited my parents. They love when I (well really Atticus) come to visit. I took our darn car in to the shop for another expensive car repair.
James I worked. That makes up the bulk of most of my days now. I also played with my son and went grocery shopping.

Today:
Kirsten
I played with my son. I helped him take a nap. I cleaned our condo. I posted this blog.
James I worked. And we're going to the park later tonight.

Tomorrow:
Kirsten
I will go pick up our car from the shop. I will do more housework. I will play with my baby and see him smile again.
James I will work, and I'll practice with my awesome band, The Upstarts.

5 comments:

Losee's said...

When I read that you were in Cloggers West, it brought back all my memories of our trip to Germany!Good times!

Anne "the pan" said...

I am soo happy you guys put this up...I love to read about your lives...even though I am so far away. James, I don't really know you, but if Kirsten gives you the go, then you might as well be gold in my book, and, Kirstin the thought of my own child 24 hours a day scares me to death...I am in awe of mothers. And I love to see how happy you are.

AL

Nikki said...

That was fun to read! Thanks for playing along, you're good sports but I would have watched Atticus anyway. JK

Anonymous said...

Dear K:
How about conducting a clogging class once a week? I would come and maybe others in our family would enjoy it too. It would be fun exercise for all of us. (I'm sure it would be entertaining for the little grandkids). When I had little kids, all the neighborhood moms headed up to the church for aerobics, kids included.

Right now I'm taking a tap dancing class, led by one of my past Laurels on Monday mornings.
I think dancing is the best exercise for me, because I love it, so it doesn't feel like exercise!
Mom

Allison Box said...

I loved this post. It is so fun to think back...even to just a year ago. It is amazing how much happens in such a short time, or even in 10 years. It sounds like you two are loving life! I am so glad!