Since leaving medical school to be a full-time mom and having two babies in seventeen months, I seem to be without my own thing outside of motherhood. Just two and half years ago I was a passionate volunteer, student leader, advocate, researcher, and student. I was really driven toward some big goals and I was accomplishing them as I completed exams, courses, and all kinds of plans and activities.
Having experienced motherhood firsthand, as I now have/do, I don't plan to resume that kind of level of involvement while my kids are young. I get that time is short and I'm stretched thin as it is. But I need a thing. A really exciting thing. Something to work hard for and enjoy and be passionate about.
What's your thing? How do you make time for it? And what do you think my thing is?



7 comments:
My (non-law school) thing is advice columns. I can't seem to get enough of reading them, they amuse me so. But that's not very productive. Have you considered knitting or crochet? I always enjoy doing that too.
Hard right? I seem to have this problem myself most of the time. I'm starting school in January. (I only have about 15 college credits....so I'll be there for awhile.) My current thing is coupons. Sounds dorky, but tonight I saved $108 at Albertson's.
AND, if you're ever bored and need a playdate I'm usually always home.
As for your thing...I always thought you were really smart, maybe you should write something, or take an online class, or find some "mom friendly" volunteer work. Good luck!
I need a thing too! Every time I think I've found one, it expires (or I do). Blogging is sometimes a fun thing. Reading books is sometimes a fun thing. I had a day or two where I thought I'd get into politics (to help get a new library and I might actually stick with that one...we'll see.) Birthday party planning is sometimes a fun thing. Relief Society is a good thing. There were a few times when making meals for people has really uplifted me. My sister-in-law teaches preschool just for her own kids and has a blog with ideas. http://preschool-is-fun.blogspot.com/ I hear indexing (geneology) can be done in small increments from home. I plan to try that in the near future.
If you figure this out and find a really good thing, let me know!
That's when I got serious about writing. I could think of cool ideas and twists while I was watching the kids. Magazine articles are quick and fun to write and can bring in some cash. Want to know how to play the game? Ask me. Love you. You're a great mom.
Mom
I love that you wrote that. I think every stay at home parent needs "a thing." And "the thing" can change over time. For me,I enjoy active things. I taught aerobics and trained for duathlons for something new and interesting. There are other races to be had when I want to shake things up. What interests you? What do you like to do? You could try writing up articles on medical related issues or health promotion? That way you would still be researching new information that relates to the medical field. There are possible volunteer activities you could do primarily from home on your own schedule.Good luck in your search.
I was struggling with that same feeling of needing a thing a few months ago. My friend asked me if I wanted to train for a 1/2 marathon and I did. Now running (slowly) is my thing. I love that it gives me time away from being a mom (except when Jack is in the jogging stroller in front of me). You are welcome to train with us for the Salt Lake half in April...
I hope you find something. Good Luck.
I've pondered the same thing! (No pun intended!) :) And I've found when I get frustrated that I'm not fulfilled or able to have time for what I want or don't feel I'm doing much of value, I actually need to invest in more meaningful time w/my kids since that's the season of life I'm in or reach out to someone else. But I've also decided I need to try to do at least one fun/relaxing for me each day--something I like but don't really get to do much anymore. Motherhood sure is blessing but full of challenges and questions, such a balancing act that we're thrown into!! You're awesome!
Post a Comment