Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Weighty matters

James and I have resolved to improve our health this year through more exercise and better nutrition. We're working on losing the extra we put on during Violet's gestation, then we'll tackle the extra weight from Atticus's gestation, and then the extra few pounds from before that. It sounds a little challenging, but February is nearly over and we're still sticking with it, so that's practically perfection, right? Things are working out well because we're gradually building healthier habits, not trying to look like supermodels by next week. We've both lost weight and are about 1/3 of the way to our goals. We're all enjoying cooking more and the extra activity together.

Atticus is especially enthused about the strength training. He does a workout dvd with me three times a week and always starts the video ready to go, with his two pound weights in hand (usually saying, "strong, strong"):


About three minutes in Atty usually kicks back in the chair to watch me do the rest or runs off to play. Wish James and me a little longer attention span for it, okay?

6 comments:

Sra said...

Good luck! I need to shed a few pounds from law school stress as well. This has been a busy week at school with appointments that required me to dress nicely, but starting next week, I'm riding my bike to school again, so maybe it will work itself out.

Anonymous said...

We're cheering you on as we are in the same boat. Love you!
Mom and Dad

Katy said...

Haha! I love that last photo. That's the way to work out!

I just started using nutrimirror. (Tracking all my food and exercise in a free online program) So far it's really really time consuming but fascinating. Anyway, yay for trying to be healthy!

Laura Roberts said...

Good for you!!! Ben started a great habit for us early in our marriage...always eat veggies first at lunch, usually a bowl/bagful of a mixture of a variety of cut-up stuff. Sometimes I don't want to do it (rather get to the sandwich or whatever!), but it's a great way to fill up and make sure you eat them!

Love the picture of Atticus!

MelanieB said...

That's great. You can't go wrong with healthy food and exercise. Maybe we can exercise together when I live in SL?

natabird said...

Good for you. It's always difficult and rewarding to create healthy habits. I can totally relate with Atty doing your workout with you. I was doing some strength training exercises the other day while watching my niece. She started copying me and kept saying "this is easy, Nat," I was thinking, "Maybe for you..." Good luck on the rest of your journey.